CIGRE is one of the world’s oldest international technical organizations and has a great tradition in the region of Central and South-East Europe. Many Countries founded CIGRE National Committees as the central hub for information and knowledge sharing of electric power systems, as well as creation of new standards and recommendations. The South-East European Regional Council of CIGRE (SEERC) will expand these positive aspects of CIGRE to South-East Europe.
The population of SEERC comprises more than 270 million persons and has a great potential for fast development of the power engineering sector. The close cooperation of South East European countries within SEERC offers better possibilities for development of the future power network and market.
Themes of common interest between SEERC members are, among others:
- Planning and development: particularly for large investments like undersea AC and DC cables across the Adriatic as well as Mediterranean sea (linking Italy, Greece, Montenegro, Malta, Croatia, Albania, offshore wind parks, etc.),
- Modernization of network: implementation of intelligent technologies, refurbishment of the existing power system,
- Asset management considering regional particularities,
- Operation and control
- South-East European electricity market design
- Mutual support and cooperation in the field of new technical standards,
- New European energy orientation towards sustainable developments: regional issues, solar & wind technologies, smart grids,
- Assessments of environmental solutions (legal issues, EMF standard harmonization, aesthetic and acceptance, sustainable innovative technology),
- Sharing of advanced knowledge and experience with other regions,
- Innovative regional forums using intellectual potentials in South-East Europe.
These themes will be adopted in accordance to future needs.